Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Last Mile of the Way

  My Dad was released from the hospital on Saturday. He was taken to see mom on his way home. I had gone in to see him at the hospital on Friday and he wasn't looking good at all. I didn't expect him to be sent home anytime soon. He was having a really bad day and told Darwin his day was bad because he couldn't go see mom.

  On Sunday someone went and got him just for fellowship meal. Steve and I ate with him there and then Galen and Donna took him to the nursing home to see mom.



  Dad's way of caring for mom is bringing her a drink whenever he comes in, which is everyday unless he's tied up to an IV. Come what may...he's there. He has made his faithful slow trek through flood waters and ice roads and snowstorms. You can count on it. He will be there.
   Even when I call him and say, "Dad you know the roads could be bad today. You may want to wait to go see mom."
     His typical response was always, "Oh, I think I can make it." And thus far he always has.

  My introduction to a faithful committed marriage started at home, as long as I can remember there was my Dad and my Mom in love with each other. Through good times and bad, they stuck together. My Dad never put a ring on mom's finger because of his view on jewelry but they have a band of love encircling their heart that has influenced my life and I stand in awe of it.

https://youtu.be/xK1HPCeueD0

  Yesterday after lunch I ran to his house to check in on him. He was disoriented and weak. whenever he tried to get up and walk he got dizzy. So Darwin's decided it would be easier to care for him at their house. I went home then with the intention of going to see Mom, but I never got there because Eunice called to say that he was failing and I should come back. When I got there and knelt beside him he was pouring his heart out to God asking for grace on himself, his kids and his grandkids.

 So I leave you today not sure what this day will bring. I'm going in to see mom and then back to dad to spend the day with him as he walks his last mile. I love the man who is my Dad, No he wasn't perfect, just pretty close.





1 comment:

  1. Praying for grace as you walk through this journey. Thankful for the hope of Heaven. Please give him our greetings.

    ReplyDelete