Thursday, September 14, 2017

More On Mom

   Yesterday was a full day. I met Larita and Angie in the Nursing home to see how Mom was doing. When we got there her breathing was very labored, but they soon brought in oxygen and there was a noticeable difference. She relaxed and even looked at us.

  We left then because Larita had come to help us go through things at the Pop's house because Darwin's are remodeling and there's too much stuff in the way. We worked until about 3:30 and then ran in to see mom again. She was much the same.

  I had asked the nurse for sponges that we could moisten her mouth with and Angie tried using a straw to drip water in her mouth. But since she can't swallow it just made her cough and make choking noises. She has a lot of phlegm down there.

  At this point no one knows how long it will be till she is gone. It has only been a little over 2 months since Pop died so I'm tempted to think maybe she did realize he wan't coming in anymore and she lost her will to live. Although in reality the natural progression of Dementia is that in the last stage the brain breaks down to the point where they forget how to swallow. Which is the stage my mom is at

  I have long dreaded this stage of Dementia. Knowing all along that it would come to this and we would have to watch her slowly die. My prayer for her is that she will go quickly and peacefully. My comfort lies in the fact that Dad is waiting for her on the other side. I can see him now. Waiting with eager anticipation.

  Darwin sent me this song yesterday......it couldn't be more fitting.

"Send Your Best Angel For My Momma"

(Chorus)
Would you please send your best angel for my mama?
I don't want her to make this journey all alone.
Would you send the same one you sent for Daddy?
To make sure that my mama makes it home.

When it's time for you to call my mama,
Would you please take special care with her?
And dear Lord, would you let her die easy?
She has suffered so much here on this earth.

(Chorus)

I know she'll be a perfect angel.
She has been a perfect mama to me.
And when it's time for me to come to join them,
Lord, just send that same angel for me.
And I believe He will.....(this phrase is spoken)

No comments:

Post a Comment