Thursday, November 19, 2015

If Life Were a book

   I love books! I learned that from my Mom. When I was growing up our one Living Room wall was equipped with Book shelves from wall to wall. Mom was part of a Christian Book Club for a period of time that sent her a new book monthly. I don't know where she got all of her books from, but I became friends with books at an early age. You can get an entire education just by reading books.

  When I got my hands on a new book, I always looked forward to the next chapter with great anticipation. I can't remember ever pausing, looking back and longing after the chapter I had just finished. As the story unfolded there was always so much to anticipate in the next chapter. It was very rare though that I would skip to the end and read ahead. That spoils the entire book. Even though my Dad jokingly says he does that because he might not live to finish the book and then he knows ahead of time what happened.

  This morning I turned on some music to set the tone for my day. Music creates a happy atmosphere for the kids to get up to. I found a file on my computer entitled "Worship" so I clicked on it and listened to a playlist that one of my kids must have put in there as I have no memory of doing it. Besides it had some music in it that I don't naturally go for simply because I grew up in the Country Gospel era and that is what I habitually listen to.

  But as the music flowed through the house I was filled with a flood of memories that turned my pages back to a chapter I just closed, and it filled me with a sweet sadness. One of the songs, "It's not about me" is a song that our son Mark used to sing with his guitar. That reversed my mind to when he still lived here before he got married. He would habitually come home from work, take a shower, eat supper and play guitar. The beauty of a memory is that you can still see and hear in your minds eye. I learned from him that there are other genres of music that are acceptable other then Country Gospel. He doesn't read my blog so he will never know I said that! He likes worship music. When I told him I like the old hymns he declared that the worship groups sing old hymns as well as new. So he pulled up the News Boys for me. I actually liked it.

  I miss the days too when the kids were all still at home and we went to the nursing home once a month to sing. I wonder why it is that it is so easy to look back and think of the days that are past and love those days. Instead of looking ahead and anticipating the next chapter! If life were a book I would, maybe I would even take a peek at the last page.

No comments:

Post a Comment