Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Roses For Mama

    I walked into my parents house last week to find Mom with her lap full of roses. She was sitting there with a satisfied look on her face. My Dad said she won't keep them in the vase. She takes them out and lays them in her lap. She had two red roses, two pink ones and a yellow one. I exclaimed over how beautiful they were and she smiled big. I told her I especially liked the yellow one and she grinned and pulled the yellow one out.

   Today Larita and Clifford stopped in to see the folks and so I ran over to see them. Mom looked happier than I have seen her for a long time. She always looks at me either sober or frowning, but then I have to realize whenever I show up I give her a shower, wash her hair or trim her nails. She might have reasons to frown at me.

  Darwin came down too then and she pointed at him and smiled. I have thought many times that she just doesn't know me anymore, but she seemed to be happy to see Darwin and Larita. So  maybe she isn't happy to see me because I make her do things she doesn't like. I trimmed her nails again yesterday and she practically sat on her right hand to keep me away from it. Even though I always assure her that I won't hurt her. And for the record I never have. Which is more than I can say for her since she bit me during a shower recently. Angie says that is normal for folks with dementia. Just keep your arm away from her teeth. Lol!

  Or it could be payback for all the times I didn't hold still as a kid in church........ or when SHE combed MY hair.

 She was in a good mood though the day she had her roses. I took her picture and she grinned and tried to hide behind a magazine.



2 comments:

  1. P&J - KropidlowskiMarch 24, 2016 at 8:10 PM

    Aw, Dawn. This is my first time reading this blog, and I was *so* blessed! The love you have for your Dad and Mom just pours out in your words! Your transparency with your struggles *and* your joys are truly an encouragement to your readers, surely! "The joy of the Lord is YOUR strength!" May God bless you, dear sister-in-Christ! :) (((((hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete