Wednesday, February 24, 2016

With Mom Today

  This past week I have been with Mom almost every day because Kristin was sick. So Phebe and I got to do the cleaning and laundry over there.

  I went over again today. I have been noticing that Mom doesn't walk as well anymore. She favors her left side. I'm not sure if her hip is hurting or what is going on, but she seems uncertain with that side. It gets a little scarier to walk her by myself because I worry that one misstep could put her on the floor.

  I spent last Saturday with her. I gave her meatloaf, scalloped potatoes and applesauce for lunch. I sat her at the table to eat and when I had my back turned she got up and was back in her chair before I knew she had left the table. I was thankful she made it back alright, but she only ate a few bites.

  She is also much more sober. I can barely get a smile out of her. She just stares at me with disapproving looks. Even Merry didn't get her usual hugs and smiles last time she was there with me.

  Today when I got there she had on a very messy bib. Apparently Dad had given her a snack just before I got there. I noticed she seemed to be harboring something kind of down beside her. At first I didn't pay attention but when I looked closer I saw she had a coffee mug there. She had her hand inside the cup. There was less than 1/2 inch of coffee in it. She didn't want to hand it over when I asked for it, but later she willingly gave it to me.

  I know it's not going to get any easier from here. I am thankful that I cannot see around the bend and I continually remind myself that God only requires me to walk through today.

No comments:

Post a Comment