Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Whats up with Mom

 




                                  An old couple in miniature, sitting in the foyer at the nursing home.






   On Monday I went in to be with Dad in a meeting with Therapy and the Social worker at the nursing home. Therapy said they have done all they can with mom and she won't be getting any better than she is right now. Which means she won't be walking. They will only continue with therapy this week yet and then they are done.

  The social worker wanted to know what we are thinking about keeping mom there or taking her home. We know that we would need a lift if we took her home. They are using a standing lift at the home right now. Because she now has Medicaid they said she is welcome to stay there. We know that either way we will not make a decision until Angie gets back from her vacation.

   Dad realizes that it will take more man power than what we have to bring her home. I like the round the clock care that she is getting at the nursing home which is something we haven't been able to do at home. Even though Dad does a good job, one old man can't do what round the clock nursing can. Going twice a day to get her up and put her to bed like Angie and I were isn't really sufficient either.

  I understand now why Angie used to mutter under her breath about what the nursing home would be doing for her if she was there. Although I don't think any of us really wanted her to go there. All in all they have very nice people working at the home. I feel like Mom is being well cared for. I think they like her in there because she really is no trouble. She just sits quietly in her chair.

  When I got there on Monday morning she was sitting in her wheelchair looking a little droopy. She kept looking down and was holding a washcloth up to her face. The nurses had given it to her to wipe her face with.  I talked to her and tried to get some interaction going but she ignored me. Pop said I should give her the doll to hold, so I wrapped it in a blanket and gave it to her. She held it and snuggled it in her arms.


No comments:

Post a Comment