Thursday, March 16, 2017

Are There Any Changes?

  Friends often ask how mom is doing. I find that question difficult to answer. Does she know us? I don't know. Sometimes, but not in the same way. Once again I wish I could see inside her mind. Like I told one friend who asked recently, no one has ever recovered from dementia who could tell us how it felt, or what it was like.

  Mom basically does nothing. She sits all day. Either in her recliner or wheelchair, is taken to the dining room and fed. Her hands are beginning to curl in. She keeps them tightly clenched. She still smiles at kids.

I saw her reach for Dad's hand today. He sat there and held her hand in his big comforting one. I don't know how that affects her mind, but I do think it has to feel normal to her. Even if she doesn't rationalize it.

The nursing home has offered Dad a free lunch for coming in and feeding her and eating with her. I think it is good for both of them.

  I recently read a book about a women who had Early onset Dementia at 50, the title is A Vow to Cherish. It is fiction but very interesting anyway. There is also a movie by the same name. You can watch the whole thing on YouTube. I cried through a lot of it. The book and movie aren't totally alike but both depict Dementia quite well.


Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment