Friday, April 1, 2016

Today At The Doctor

  We took Mom to the Dr. on Wed and he said he thinks she has a blood clot. He ordered an ultrasound but our appointment was late enough that the technician was gone for the day already. So we needed to run in again yesterday.
I groaned inside.....it is no easy task to get Mom into the van. On Wed. we had Kristin to help. She is strong enough to bodily pick mom up. So with her help we actually got mom in the shower before we went to the Dr.
On Wed, I had a full schedule. We ran over at 9 am to get mom up and in her chair. When we left I remembered that we hadn't elevated her leg and so I told Angie I'm gonna call Pop and tell him to get that leg up. But my phone service was bad right then and by the time I got home my brain had flipped the page to the next job of the day and I forgot.
So when we got back to get her ready for her appointment, her leg was swollen as tight as a fiddle string and I felt terrible. The Dr. saw it at it's worst.
  We went back yesterday and it all went much better because we had remembered to elevate her leg that morning and it makes a huge difference.
Turns out the Dr. was right. She has a huge blood clot running from her knee all the way up through her thigh to the top. They sent us home with blood thinner that has to be given by injection twice a day and also warfarin given orally. You cannot begin to imagine how thankful I am for Angie's experience with giving injections. Even though she was kind of intimidated by the length of the needle she administered it smoothly and expertly I'm very thankful there's two of us.


                                                         Pop calls us his "good ole girls" 

It's not an easy job this care giving, sometimes the way gets long and rough. But there are rewards. A smile, a good laugh, and sometimes even a kiss.
  Last night we got mom up out of her chair onto her feet and we just stood there to let her get her bearings, we were telling her how great she was doing and she leans over and gives me a kiss on the cheek. That was priceless!

2 comments: