Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Still in the Race

I have been too occupied to post anything. Just so you believe me I will post a picture of what I have been doing the last few days.

 I make these signs from old pallets and I discovered recently how to make stars from soda cans. I sell them at a friend's Greenhouse. So every year I try to have a good supply there for Mother's day.

  I stopped in just briefly to see the folks on Monday after I had been gone for a long weekend. They seemed to be doing pretty good. Mom is doing better as far as she has settled down and kind of plat-toed out. I wouldn't say she has improved as far as her brain function goes, but she is much more at peace. Not so much anxiety and the drive to get out of the house now.

  Dad told me on the phone one day that she wasn't locking him out of rooms anymore but she did go out to the living room and try to use the phone one night. He got her back to bed and she went willingly enough but he could tell she was laying there watching for him to fall asleep. At some point she must of thought he had dropped off because she slipped out and tried to call someone again. He says he doesn't think she could dial the right number anymore. Of course we don't dial numbers anymore, isn't it strange that we think we do? Have you ever wondered why our children don't even think that we are strange saying we dial a number when we actually punch them? Maybe we all have dementia......

  Angie and I went to shower Mom again today. When we got there, Dad was working in the yard, planting flowers. So I got a picture of him.






I took one of Angie and Mom too.





  Mom still knows who we are, we hope she always will but they warn us that the day will come when she won't. I asked Mom who I am today and she responded with my name. I then asked her about Angie, she tried but it was hard for her to say. She finally did get the ending out, then she grabbed her arm and pulled her down to her level for a hug. She started crying then. I wonder what she is thinking. After awhile I thought, boy, where is this going? I can't just let her be crying when we leave. So I cast about in my mind, what can I do to stop this train. I remembered that when I cleaned her room, I found coloring books. I knew she always enjoyed coloring. Even when she was in her right mind. So I got her colors and a Clifford The Big Red Dog coloring book. She didn't seem to want to at first but when she got colors in her hand she was soon coloring and happy again.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment