Wednesday, May 27, 2015

It Takes a Puppy

   Mom has really been having a rough time of it since the weekend. So many faces that mean so much to her.  She cannot communicate, can't say" thank you for coming, I'm so glad to see you." I don't remember seeing her laugh once the entire weekend. She always did love to laugh. She loved the good ole family time.

   Had she been herself she would have made a huge bowl of her wonderful Potato Salad. We would have had Ice cream and Cake and we would have heard her laughing at all the humor that always flies around when Galen, Roger, Darwin and Earl get together.

  But all she did really was cry. We are learning to take goodbyes a little easier with her. She does much better with a casual wave from 10 feet away and a "goodbye Mom see you later."  When she gets a hold of your hand the tears begin to flow and you'll be lucky to get away. She hangs on for all she's worth. It breaks our heart to see her like this and then we all fight tears too.

  Today when Angie and I went over to give her shower, they weren't home. But while we were still there they came back. She came into the house crying. Apparently Pop took her to town because she was crying and he thought it would help to get away. She did well in town, but then as soon as she saw they were turning onto their road she started crying again.

  She settled down when we talked to her and did fine for her shower, but as soon as she was back in her chair she was back to crying again. So we talked to her there and tried to get her thinking positively. About that time Darius (Darwin's boy) walked in and Pop says, "Darwin's gave Darius a little Jack Russel Puppy  yesterday, she loves that thing."
  So I said, " Darius, run and get your puppy, Grandma needs to cheer up."
He ran home and had that sweet little bundle of puppy love down there before you could blink an eye, and you should have seen her.......perfect peace! She gets that little puppy snuggled up in her lap and she is HAPPY!, and perfectly content.

  When I said goodbye to her, she was beautiful. Her hair was combed, she had a look of joy on her face and she didn't care that I was leaving. I wonder how he ever got that puppy out of her lap. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture. I may have to trade my dumb phone in for a smart phone just so I always have a camera with me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment