Friday, July 10, 2015

The Super 8 Encounter

  We were on our way down to Illinois to load up with books again and to attend Staff Meeting. We don't usually get a motel on our way , but this time we did because it was better than running all the way home and then backtracking the next morning. Steve and I had spent the day filling bookshelves in S. Milwaukee.

  When we left our Motel room, Steve said, "Lets just go to McDonald's, the kitchen is full here this morning."
  I said, "Well, but let's at least get coffee here. I was thinking of saving food money for Choice Books.
He said,"That's fine." and so we walked in. I made it to the coffee before he did, and here's the difference between the male and female brain. He's a hunter, he walks in, shoots it, and drags it home.

  I'm a different story. I have to deliberate. Do I want straight coffee or do I want cream? Should I put in Hot Chocolate mix and make it Cappuccino? Maybe I should just get OJ too. Steve was in a hurry, he got his coffee and headed out.I decided on OJ and Cappuccino.

   I knew Steve was in a hurry so I was under pressure to get going. I was also emotionally stressed because of trying to work out some details about Mom's care etc....I had just finished mixing the Cappo with those flimsy little straws. It wasn't mixing too well. Because of my hurry, I tried to put on the lid with my left hand while my right hand was occupied with my OJ.

  Something went horribly wrong and the whole Styrofoam cup flattened under my hand and flooded the counter with hot Chocolate Coffee. I groaned and glanced around for napkins hoping my whole mess would go unnoticed. I was halfway through when a young man approached me and asked.

  "Are you Amish?"
I groaned on the inside. "No, I'm not Amish." I answered, still feverishly sopping up my mess.
  "Well, whats that thing about on your head?" He ventured

  I looked at him squarely, for the first time taking my eyes from the mess, and kind of absently noticed that he was a special needs youth. At the time it didn't really soak in though.
  "Its a Prayer Covering and I'm not the only person in the world that does it." I felt like I was almost snapping at him. Which isn't my normal personality at all.

   "Oh, I'm sorry." He said, backing off
  I immediately felt bad and softened my heart, "No, it's OK, I don't mind if you ask.

  At that point I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

  Tonight I'm a little shocked at myself. Where was the sweet person who shines for Jesus? Why was I irked because someone took me for Amish? I can't help feeling sorry for the young man. I hope no one else bit his head off that day.

  But I wonder...how many times when we encounter someone who isn't really kind....do we think what in the world is wrong with that person? Maybe in reality they are not dealing well with the pressures of life.

1 comment: