Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day

   I talked a little about my Dad in my last post, not thinking about Father's Day coming up. I am that way. things happen and I'm almost always about too late, I just manage to get in under the wire. Come to think of it, my Dad was always like that! :)

  What I appreciate about my Dad....

  Most currently I appreciate that he takes responsibility to care for Mom. It makes our job so much easier. I appreciate his fortitude. I know it really bothered him when she made the big turn from being pretty much ok to drastically being out of her right mind almost overnight. At first he really reeled under it. But now he has adjusted pretty much although he still has times that he struggles with it. For the most part he rolls with the punches. He is patient, kind and caring.

  A few years back when he was more able he was at us kids beck and call. Whenever we needed help, who did we call on? Whether it was an errand to pick something up, butchering, helping with peeling peaches to can or snapping beans or on a corn day. He never said no. You just knew that if Dad possibly could make it, he would. Sometimes he even changed his own plans in favor for ours. God bless the man!

  My favorite memories of Dad at home were when he would take us busting drifts after a snowstorm. He would hit those drifts with his car and snow would fly over the windshield. Mom would squeal and us kids would shout, grinning from ear to ear. I learned to love thunderstorms from him. I'm not sure why. I can't remember that he ever told me not to be afraid of them. It was simply his own attitude. He was always so calm. As a youngster I thought my Dad wasn't afraid of anything. As long as he was around I didn't think to fear anything.

  I remember he was a very hard working man. He never had much money but he worked hard. He tried a lot of things. I hated when he drove truck, because it took him away. Then when there was a breakdown it just took longer for him to get home. He tried very hard. When he logged his own land he took the logs by tractor and wagon to the nearest sawmill.

  What I like the most about him right now is his love for the Lord and his ability to think outside the box. His faith in Christ has grown tremendously in the past several years and when he departs this life I will have no questions about where he is, because he has already given me the answers.

  I'm thankful to God for the two men in my life that have given me security and value, My Dad and my husband. God bless them both!

No comments:

Post a Comment