Thursday, June 18, 2015

Still Useful for God's Purpose

   I didn't make it to Mom's house yesterday because we decided to do her shower this evening just before she goes to bed.

  Yesterday I went out to take pictures of my flowers because they are so brilliant and beautiful right now.

I have been thinking about Mom and how her life right now seems so....I don't know the word....I don't want to say, unfruitful or any of those bad, unkind, unappreciative words. Because I love my Mom and I honor God in that he knows what plans he has for life and death for all of us. That said, I just want to say I am human and sometimes I think too much. 

  Since Sunday God has been giving me a lot of checks and balances in my thoughts. At church an elderly lady got up during testimony time and said that she had been asking God why she is still on earth. She can't do anymore what she used to be able to. She felt God was telling her to just do what she still can.

  Then a friend shared an article on FB that someone had written about their own Mother's Dementia. I was a little ashamed after reading the article because I felt like he had a much better outlook than I have been tempted to have at times.

  Last evening we watched a movie called THE LETTER WRITER, about an old man in a rest home, he spent his time going through the phone book and randomly selecting people to send encouraging letters to. He made a huge difference in the life of one struggling teenager.

  When I took the picture of my flower bed I stood back to admire my flowers. I really like the old broken chair in there, and then it struck me. Old things are still valuable and useful. That old chair can't be used for sitting on anymore, but it looks so beautiful holding an old bucket with flowers in it....and the old bucket? Well it don't hold water anymore, doesn't even sit flat anymore. But is it useful? Absolutely! It's beautiful in it's own way for what it is useful for right now.

  And so is my Mom.


  Mom was very pleasant and happy when we were there for her shower this evening. Angie and I sat with them and visited with my Dad awhile. He is a very wise man. I love to hear what he has to say. One thing I always liked about my Dad when I was a teenager was he always made me feel like I was worth listening to. Now it's my turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment