Sunday, April 12, 2015

Having Old Parents Isn't For Wimps

Years ago Mom had a book titled, Getting Old Isn't for Wimps. I'm starting to believe that having old parents isn't for wimps, Although the truth be told, I am a wimp. I am doing things I never wanted to do and I rely on God to get me through and help me face each day.

 My Dad works at the dump, (recycling) on Saturday mornings from 10am to 2pm, He sits there and flattens boxes mostly,  Mom isn't trusted to stay by herself anymore. You never know what would happen! She has been staying with Darwin and Eunice from 10 am until Angie and I can get there after lunch to take her home and do her shower.

Yesterday Eunice called me and asked how soon I can get there because Mom was starting to smell kind of strong. Things were getting a little too much for them so Darwin decides not to wait on me and went to Mom's house just down the road and got her a fresh Depend, That's when they discovered that she never had one on in the first place. I don't have to tell you what happened to Eunice's couch, Poor Mom, I almost didn't write about this because I know she would be horrified if she knew what happened. But it appears like that part of her brain isn't working much.

How much does Mom know? I'm never sure, I asked her one day if she understands everything we say and she said, No. Sometimes she seems confused. Sometimes she seems like a mischievous, naughty little girl that just did something she knows she shouldn't have, Like when she stole the keys from the van and hid them in her dress. I wondered if that was a flashback from when Dad was sick in 2013 and we hid the keys from him because he was wanting to drive again before he was really able.

Right now she slips out daily when Pop is preoccupied with other things and crawls in the van. Usually the drivers seat. He has been pulling the keys now. We are worried that she would actually try to go somewhere. Who knows where that would be.

She seemed unsettled and anxious when we picked her up to go home for her shower. But settled down nicely after we got her in her chair, She ate some lunch, including a nice piece of Chocolate pie. She has always loved pie, On Friday morning Merry's reading had a story about a mom and daughter making pie. So of course she wanted to make pie. We decided to go to Grandma's house to make the pie because Grandma likes pie so much.

Mom's shower went really well, I enjoy working with Angie. She knows what to do and we have a lot of good laughs, I don't think I could do this job without her, It is God that gives these wimps the ability to do what they didn't know they could. That's found somewhere in the Bible isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment