Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Mama is a Girl Again

Mom had another bad night last night. She went to bed but then got up and went to the bathroom. She locked herself in and wouldn't let my Dad in. He said she wasn't yelling or anything so he just let her be. He went to his chair. She apparently was holding the one bathroom door shut because he couldn't get in and he said the one lock doesn't work.

At some point he heard a noise and went to investigate. She was standing in the hallway just outside the bathroom door, looking out the window in the door that looks out toward Darwin's house. When she realized he was watching her she slipped back into the bathroom. She came back to bed at 2:00am. I'm not sure if she went by herself or if my Dad helped her back in.

My Dad said today that in the night Mom thinks he is someone else. Angie and I were there after lunch today for Mom's shower. Angie told Dad she spent 10 years taking care of people with Dementia. She said after you spend 8 hours with them you feel like you are one of them. My Dad wearily agreed. We did get a good laugh out of that one. I know he knows what she is talking about.

    When he came home today he tried to talk to Mom and reached out a hand to her. She just kind of eyeballed him and kept her hand back.
    I knelt beside her chair and asked her, "Mom, do you know who he is?"
  She kinda grinned at me and then leaned forward with big eyes and a naughty smirk and held her hand up beside her mouth and gave a big dramatic whisper,"ROBERT."
 I was like, Whoa! How does a woman who can't talk pull that one off?

Well, the truth is Our Mama is a little girl again! And boy do we love her. She is so naughty sometimes, but she is also easy and friendly at other times, with a smile and a twinkle in her eye. I wonder.....maybe Uncle Lester knows. What was she like when she was little?

Mom's Primary Care Giver

No comments:

Post a Comment